Sri Vakrathunda Vinayagar temple was the first traditional Hindu temple to be established in Melbourne, 1992. Since then the temple has fulfilled the spiritual and cultural aspirations of thousands of Hindus in Victoria.
Punarutharana Maha Kubabhishegam (Restorative Consecration Ceremony) was conducted on 17-06-2007. The temple has been extensively renovated, with new shrines built, a Rajagopuram added and its internal and external decorations refurbished or enhanced.
Seperate shrines for Deities for Hanumanji and Nagam has been built in the new extension at rear of the temple. And Kumbabhishegam has been carried out on 12-09-2012 to mark and celebrate the placing of Hanumanji and Nagam in their respective peedam (alters).
New hall has been built for temple. The religious opening ceremony for the hall has taken place on April 2013. And new Thaer Velloddam (Chariot's First Run) happened on April 2013.
Below is our body of committee members who jointly oversee the activities of the temple
- Mr. Thuraisingam KanapathipillaiPresident
- Mr. Nadarajah BalasubramaniamVice-President
- Mr. Shan PillaiSecretary
- Mr. Manogaran DorayappaAssistant Secretary
- Mr. Sivanathan ThambooTreasurer
- Mr. Moganaraju GovindarajuAssistant Treasurer
- Mr. Shanmugananthakumar ThuraisingamEditor & Editorial Affairs
- Ms. Ranjini SomasundaramCultural & Welfare Secretary
- Mr. Raj NagarajanCommittee Member (Life)
- Dr. Ponnuthurai ParansothyCommittee Member (Life)
- Ms. Pushpavathy JeyabalasingamCommittee Member (Life)
- Mr. Satkunanathan SelliahCommittee Member (Life)
- Mr. Kandiah SundaralingamCommittee Member (Ordinary)
- Mr. Jeevananthan BalasingamCommittee Member (Ordinary)
- Ms. Miruthula SuppiahCommittee Member (Ordinary)
- Gouriswara KurukkalChief Priest
- Nithyanatha KurukkalAssistant Priest